We are looking for a Data Engineer who will support our product development teams by guiding proper data practices to build proprietary data sets, and empowering our clients to find value in data.
The Data Engineer will also be responsible for data architecture that defines data models for new systems, selecting the best data storage solution for a given data set and usage pattern, collecting and managing test data, and creating normalized views of meaningful systems from disparate data sources. You will also have a key role to play in creating and operationalizing machine learning based solutions.
We are seeking a candidate with strong experience using a variety of data storage, collection, mining, and analysis methods. You must be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. The right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
Worthwhile helps mid-market companies out-innovate their competition through software and data. We utilize a Design Thinking methodology to continuously design, build, and run digital transformation initiatives that deliver real business value in the manufacturing, financial services and healthcare sectors. Our culture is unique and defined by our 20 specific value behaviors. This relentless focus throughout our 25+ year history has enabled us to achieve an unprecedented Net Promoter Score of 84 (2x the industry average) and be named the #2 Best Place to Work in South Carolina for 2020.
Data Science Engineers design proper data models that minimize data exhaust and support Data Scientists. They then use this information to develop data-driven solutions to difficult business challenges. Data Engineers commonly have a Master's degree in statistics, math, computer science, or economics, or equivalent experience. Data Engineers have a wide range of technical competencies including:
- Designing and reviewing data architectures
- Designing schemas
- Creating test data
- Building containers
- Configuring data lake pipelines
- Implementing data quality initiatives
- Work with database migrations used in CI/CD
- Work with SRE to respond to incidents
- Work with engineering teams to design, build and run innovative automation solutions.
- Conduct independent research to gain domain-specific knowledge and develop custom data models and algorithms as well as valuable testing fixtures to support the larger engineering team.
- Monitor and optimize database performance.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Strong problem solving skills with an emphasis on product development.
- Experience working with and creating data architectures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- We’re looking for someone with 5+ years of experience designing and implementing database solutions, and is familiar with the following software/tools:
- Coding knowledge and experience with several languages: Python and SQL are key.
- Experience querying databases and using statistical computer languages: Python, SQL, R, etc.
- Cloud architectures including AWS and Azure
- Asynchronous computing models (Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc.)
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- MS SQL Server
- NoSql Databases
- ERD Documentation
- JSON Schema
- Open source reporting frameworks (BRIT or Jasper)
- Couch / Cloudant
Compensation and benefits
- Base salary
- Profit Sharing Program
- Health insurance, paid time off, expense and travel account, and other benefits.
Make decisions in alignment with our vision:
- A magnet for companies seeking the most valuable software.
- A destination for people seeking the most fulfilling work.
Make decisions in alignment with our mission:
- We entertain an engagement only with the client is significantly rewarded.
- Our employees’ fulfillment will be fueled by our clients’ success.
- Our engagements are successful when our clients request an ongoing strategic relationship.
Perform your work in accordance with our 20 specific values-based actions.
- Drive deep collaboration among our team with a focus on solutions that make us more valuable to our clients.
- Listen intently and reflectively to clients with a desire to understand before being understood.
- Be curious and constantly improve to provide better solutions for clients.
- Excel in communicating with clients; be clear, concise, and anticipate questions.
- Honor your commitments: be on time, every time; deliver what you promise when you promise it.